Friday, March 31, 2006

Spring weather and Taco Casa

Yesterday was a great spring night so Eric and I decided to be adventurous and give Taco Casa a try. Wanting to get ahead in line before the dudes who pulled in beside us, I nudged Eric toward the register while asking the lady behind the counter what the most popular order is at Taco Casa. Without hesitation, she said "The taco salad."
I then flashbacked to my boss eating a Taco Casa salad earlier that day and saying it was sh****. I think its claim to fame is Cincy’s best taco salad, but it’s a pretty short list if I’d have to guess. I figure sh**** or not, I want to try Cincy’s best taco salad and quickly ordered two.
“Large or small?”
It’s dinnertime, so I said two larges while Eric asked “Are those your sizes?” as he pointed to a HUGE large bowl and a REALLY small bowl behind the counter, well that’s what they looked like to me. I wanted more than not enough; plus, I couldn’t tell how deep these things were. Turns out, these things are massive, and Eric had called it. From first glance, he always has a better idea of proportion.
The salad had a top layer of cheese, then some crazy white sauce that was ostensibly sour cream, and some extra guac we had asked for but couldn’t taste with all the crazy flavors that included what I think, but not limited to, were beans, lettuce, onions, ground beef, etc. etc. I could see the guac mixed in there though, and with my soft spot for guac I was desperately trying to differentiate its flavor with no luck. We were only able to eat about half of the craziness. I’d give Taco Casa a 6.5 out of 10. Nothing great but nothing terrible. If you feel like being a human garbage disposal, give it a try!
P.S. the hot sauce sux, it's like watered down tomato paste with some tabasco, black pepper flecks and lime--not successfully hot by any means. Who puts black pepper in hot sauce?

2 comments:

Julie said...

Oh man, I have also experienced "Cincinnati's best" never-ending bowl of taco salad. Jon & I split one once and it seemed like we ate forever and never found the bottom! There are definitely some questionable substances in there... :)

Eric and Jill said...

Yeah, man! We both actually ended up eating all of the leftovers. Ugh. I just had a taco salad at my work cafeteria that kicked Taco Casa's butt.